Hi everyone!! I know it’s been a while since I wrote my last post. I had a great running start going towards the new year. I bought myself a new car! Finally!!! I decided to purchase a brand new 2018 Subaru Crosstrek Limited with Moonroof and Navigation system at the Bertera Subaru of Hartford in Connecticut. This is a new chapter of my life. I’m planning to go on road trips and more adventures with my brand new baby! I’m slowly adjusting to the “adulthood”. I’m at the stage in my life where I can afford to buy a new car for myself. I made a few sacrifices along the way and also rearranged my priorities to reassure myself that I could afford a brand new car. This is my first step in being financially independent! 🙂
Shopping for a new car was not easy. It was very confusing. Of course, I didn’t do all of this alone, my boyfriend and my family helped me throughout this process. I created a list of three or four cars that met my needs and fell within my budget. I compared a 2018 Toyota Rav4, a 2017 Honda CRV, and a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. I did a lot of due diligence and research on those car models. By doing this due diligence, this helped my sister and I tremendously during the negotiation process.We went to four different dealerships. We developed a concrete plan in which made it easy for us to get an awesome deal.
Finally, after test driving all the different car models and after doing all of the research, I knew which car was perfect for me! And I picked the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek Limited with Moonroof and Navigation System. I called this car, Lucy! And yes she is a girl! Isn’t she stunning!
The first time I laid my eyes on Lucy, I fell in love with her exterior features. She looks so sporty and chic! She is ready to go on adventures with me! This car can drive in any weather condition because this is “ALL-WHEEL DRIVE”! I have a slight fear of tight corner spaces, therefore this car model size is the ideal size for me. This car is a mix between of an SUV and a regular sedan vehicle. It is a crossover. It has enough room and space for me to feel comfortable when I’m driving. This car has a lot of personalities filled with elevated exterior and interior features. There is a navigation system, blind spot sensors, and emergency communication system, blue-tooth for wireless phone connectivity, heated seats for the harsh winter climates, power moonroof, Harmon Kardon entertainment system, and a backup camera. And the best part is this car has a remote starter!!! This is a huge lifesaver for me because I can survive during the winter now….especially when I live in Connecticut!! The winter came be horrible over here! The car drives very smooth. The navigation system and entertainment features are simple to navigate through. I cannot find anything negative to talk about my new baby! I’m so obsessed!
I’m happy I bought my car at Bertera Subaru of Hartford in Hartford, CT. My salesperson name was Rich. He deserves a special shout out as well!! He did a terrific job finding me the perfect car for me! His managers and supervisors were welcoming and entertaining. I would say he went above and beyond to take care of me. He even gave me free weather mats for my car! Rich did listen and answered all of my questions and my concerns. I’m glad to be a part of the Bertera Subaru Family! To anyone who is shopping for a new or pre-owned Subaru, you should definitely come down to Bertera Subaru of Hartford!
Here are my best tips and resources for buying a car:
- How much can you afford? A rule of thumb: If you’re planning to take out a loan to pay for your car, your car payment shouldn’t be more than 20% of your paycheck. If you have a tight budget, you may want to spend even less… Perhaps check out used or pre-owned cars. Keep it in mind used cars will need a little extra attention from time to time: may need to change new tires and maintenance. Also, don’t forget to factor in fuel and insurance when researching to buying a car.
- Build a target list of used car and new cars- I suggest making a list of three or four cars that meet your needs and fall within your budget. For example, I compared, Toyota, Hondas, and Subaru.
- Check car prices- prices are driven by part by where you’re shopping. You’ll find used cars in used-cars sections of new-car dealerships, independent used-car lots, used-car retailers such as Carmax and websites where private-party sellers list their cars. You’ll find new cars on dealership’s website where they will list all of the inventory for new cars.
- Check the vehicle history report. This is an important step. If the car you’re looking at has a bad history report, the sooner you know the better. Autocheck and Carfax are the best-known sources for vehicle history reports.
- Kelley Blue Book – This is a great site to look for expert car reviews, new and used car price values, car incentive programs, and etc.
- Truecar – This is an easy resource to research on all of the car prices and car inventory in your area or any location and also this site can show you savings on both new & used cars.
- Once you find a good perspective car, do not run out to see it. Contact a salesperson or the seller first. This is a good way to establish a relationship with the seller and verify the information about the car. Make sure you put together a list of questionnaires for the seller to answer. It’s better to wait to ask about the price of the car. Once you see the car, you can tie your offer to its condition.
- Test-drive the car – the best way to know if this is the right car and model for you. It’s also a good way to assess this car’s current conditions. Look out for any distractions and focus on the car.
- Have the car inspected- if you like the car, consider having it inspected by a mechanic before you buy the car.
- Negotiate a good deal- Negotiating doesn’t have to be a planned out and traumatic experience. If you are reasonable and have a plan, chances are you can make a deal pretty quickly and easily.
- Get all of the paperwork and registeration done!
I’m extremely happy about my decision. I can’t wait to make more life decision. I like being an adult!